Christian Aid Week - Update 1 May 2020
Coronavirus appeal and prayer
We invite you to join us in prayer for all those affected by this new virus, both in Britain and overseas, for all those working on the frontline and for wisdom for our leaders. Coronavirus impacts all of us. But love unites us all.
The world's poorest countries have the weakest health systems, and many of the most vulnerable people will be exposed to this deadly virus. They will struggle to cope with any costs of healthcare, and the costs of being unable to earn a living while ill or quarantined. We have launched a Coronavirus Appeal to help us limit the impact on the communities we work with. Please ask your church community to consider donating to the appeal today.
Christian Aid Week is NOT cancelled!
This year’s Christian Aid Week will undoubtedly be a different experience, but we know supporters like you will do all you can to make it the same life-changing and joyous week we’ve run since 1957. In fact, now more than ever our gifts, prayers and action are desperately needed. However, in-person events, such as house-to-house collections and Big Brekkies will not go ahead this year.
We are moving Christian Aid Week online! We are developing and promoting some exciting ways to help you join together in fun and fellowship as a community this May.
- We encourage all churches to hold a Christian Aid Week Sunday service and we will have adapted resources available, including a recorded video sermon. If you would like a speaker to join your online worship then please let us know.
- You can also sign up to our daily live stream of prayer and reflections during Christian Aid Week. We will have more details soon about how you can do this.
- Could your local community hold a virtual quiz? We will be providing guides to help you run your own virtual quiz or church service with specially prepared resources to help you do this.
- We will also be hosting daily quizzes during Christian Aid week itself on our website.
- And, there is the Christian Aid Week e-envelope - a digital way to share the Christian Aid Week story with your family and friends and ask for a donation.
But as with every Christian Aid Week we expect you to come up with the best ideas so we want to help support whatever you decide to do. For some churches it could be to support in sponsorship someone willing to take on a challenge.
Whatever you do we know it’s important to be able to let your community know what you have raised, and so we suggest setting up a team page in JustGiving for your church. Individuals can donate directly via the Christian Aid website or by telephone 020 7523 2269.
With your support, we can continue our vital work with the poorest and most vulnerable people in the world. Resources for a virtual Christian Aid Week are available right here.
Of course as soon as we are able to resume meeting in person then you may be able to go ahead with some of your planned worship and fundraising events at a different time of year, perhaps in Autumn.